Friday, February 13, 2009

A Day In The Life Of A Public Defender

Are you looking for some inspiration? Take a moment and enjoy "A Day In The Life of a Public Defender" by J.D. Schmid. This inspirational article examines what it is really like to advocate for the indigent in rural community and is a must-read for anyone interested in entering a career in the criminal arena.

The sun was rising over the trees when I arrived at my office. I glanced at the five names that I had written on a yellow notepad, and then shoveled the files, calendar, and notepad into my briefcase. I grabbed a stack of business cards and a couple of pens, then walked two blocks to the courthouse, where I would spend the rest of the day.The names on my notepad were all people I had been appointed to represent. Each of the five was poor, and each was, in one way or another, in trouble with the law. It was my job to help navigate them through the criminal justice system, to insure that their constitutional rights were vindicated, and to advocate on their behalf against what often seems like the limitless power and resources of the state. I am a public defender. I primarily practice ... to continue reading, click HERE.